LWV of the United States offers the following tips to help you get the most out of watching a debate:
- Think Ahead. Before the debate, ask yourself which issues are most important to you, and jot down what you'd like to learn from each of the candidates.
- Are They Answering the Question? Pay attention to how the candidates answer the questions. Are they specific? Sincere? Knowledgeable?
- Keep Track of Topics. Are the candidates being asked about your priority issues? Are the questions fair and pertinent?
- Talk it out! Afterwards, talk about the debate with your friends and family. Did the debate sway your decision? Did you learn something new about the candidates' positions?
- VOTE. It is your best opportunity to make your voice heard and help shape the issues that affect all of us!
For more information on debate-watching, LWVUS offers "Debate Watching 101"